It’s December the 2nd and day two of my #ChasingStrong advent calendar. Today as the title may hint I’m going to be talking about walking.
Walking is a very underrated exercise considering it’s something nearly all of us can do, no matter where we are.
With more and more of us leading sedentary lifestyles anything that gets us moving is a positive.
Just 30 minutes of brisk* walking per day can offer some of these benefits:
- Help maintain a healthy weight
- Help strengthen your bones and muscles
- Build your stamina
- Increase your cardiovascular (heart) fitness
- Improve your mood (gotta love the endorphins)
- Improve your balance and coordination
- Reduce your chances of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and some cancers
Not convinced? Why not challenge yourself to walk briskly for a minimum of 30 minutes at a time as often as you can this month and see how you feel?
Not sure how you might fit it in?
- Walk to and/or from work
- Take a walk during your lunch break
- Head out early – what a way to wake yourself up before your busy day begins
- Explore your surrounding – if you are in Wales, why not head for the hills, there are plenty of them around. From Snowdon to Pen-Y-Fan, why not make a day out of it
- Get your friends / family involved
- Got a dog? Just up your pace, they’ll love it
- Get a tracker – I use a Fitbit to calculate my daily steps, I still get excited when my watch vibrates to tell me I’ve reached my step goal. You can also start challenges with friends
Try logging you walks on this calendar – make sure you let us know how you get on.
Walk daily? Tell us about it.
*Brisk means walking approx. 3 miles an hour. If you are unsure what this looks like – head to the app store on your smart phone and download Active 10. This NHS app will let you know if your walking is brisk, simples!